Monday, August 17, 2009

Olivia Quilt




My dining room has been taken over by a quilting extravaganza. Several projects are in progress including a quilt for my 2-year-old Olivia. Appropriately, I chose fabric from a line of fabric printed with the character Olivia who was first from a darling series of books by Ian Falconer and now also a cartoon show, which my daughter is a little obsessed with. Olivia is a difficult name to say, and she pronounces it "la-liba." 

The pattern is pretty simple - just a basic log cabin. I start with a fussy cut from an illustrated print fabric that I will also use for the backing. Then, I build around it in strips. My challenge is to figure out how to square them all up to the same size before putting on the sashing as each center starts as a different dimension. The sashing will be red (still need to purchase this) as this is Oliva's (the cartoon version) favorite color.

I'm also piecing strips from Moda's Hello Betty honey bun for the circle applique pillow shown on the cover of the Amy Butler book In Stitches. Tonight, Bill is going to help me figure out how to size down the circle to fit my 18"x18" pillow (pattern makes it 29"x29"). 

Have a happy Monday!


No comments: